Mold is a word that we do not like to hear. Although it is unappetizing to think about, it is imperative that every home or business owner understands the causes of mold and the ways to remedy it since an ongoing presence of mold can lead to dangerous health effects such as lung and other respiratory problems.
How Does it start?
The most important thing to know about mold is where it usually likes to grow. Mold is typically found in damp, humid places and can be initially detected by visually seeing it or noticing a mildew or musty smell. But, mold can happen anywhere, even places that cannot be easily spotted like behind your walls or under the carpets.
Types of Mold
There are many different types of mold. Black mold is associated with being highly toxic and has a black-green color and is more dangerous than white mold or green mold. Black mold can grow almost anywhere and needs to be taken care of by a professional who knows how to safely get rid of mold that can potentially affect your health. Green mold is less hazardous than black mold, but it should still be removed by a professional just in case there is black mold hiding somewhere around it. Mold can cause problems with asthma and can lead to horrible side effects
What causes mold?
Mold spores are able to travel in the air and will plant themselves on any surface that has moisture. Places that are great homes for mold to grow are bathrooms, kitchens and basements, so keep a stronger eye out for mold in those areas. Plumbing problems are one of the leading causes of mold in a home or business such as leaks in water pipes, toilets, roofs, AC/heating systems. It could also be made worse if the area is not well ventilated or cleaned regularly.
To prevent mold from growing, there are some precautions you can take:
-Make sure there is no standing water around because still water is the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew.
-Air purifiers and dehumidifiers are a great way to stop mold from growing in a humid spot in your home or business.
-If the mold you detect is not black mold, you could try to clean it yourself by mixing one gallon of water and one cup of bleach. It is quite hard to detect what kind of mold you have, so to be safe, call a professional restoration contractor to fix any damage.
-If it is black mold, it needs to be cleared immediately because it is a danger to the health of everyone around it. Our team at Go Pro Restoration & Maintenance can help you with your mold problem. If you spot it, we’ll clear it!